About JCB Lakeside Club

Ornamental Lake & Springfield Villa
Ornamental Lake & Springfield Villa

Founded in 1971 the Club was originally sited at Rocester in a prefabricated building which had been the design and technical publications office. The stay at this site was relatively short-lived, when the Club moved in 1972 to "new" premises at Barrowhill Hall, which had undergone refurbishment to give the members much improved facilities. The Club was then known as the JCB Country Club.

Due to the location of the premises being some distance from the sports facilities the club looked to move again and eventually an old building used as an overflow storage facility for JCB was selected for development. In 1982 the club moved to its current location, since which time further development has taken place including an extension in 1989 comprising a function room, toilets, kitchen, flat and balcony area. More recently in 1999 the lounge bar extension was added along with complete refurbishment of the bar area.

The Management Committee is made up of JCB employees, retired members and two associate members. Some members of the committee have served for in excess of 30 years so have a wealth of experience in the running of the Club.

Historical Interest

The original building, which now forms part of the Club premises, was built as a canal warehouse. The canal was called the Caldon Canal as it originally ran from Etruria to the limestone quarries at Cauldon Lowe. In the late 18th Century plans were made to extend the canal from Cauldon Lowe to Uttoxeter to carry coal for the Cheadle and Kingsley Moor collieries and brass and copper for the Oakamoor and Alton factories. The extension to Uttoxeter was opened on 3rd September 1811, four years before Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo. The opening day was made a public holiday with the first boats travelling along the canal to Rocester and beyond. The life of the canal was fairly short-lived as on 7th August 1848 the Churnet Valley railway line was opened having replaced the canal and followed much of the course of the canal from Uttoxeter to Rocester.

Rocester Railway Station 1865
Rocester Railway Station 1865

The canal warehouse at Rocester, which was a three-storey building, became a part of the Rocester railway station. The station was opened in April 1849 and the Ashbourne branch line was opened in 1852. The Churnet Valley line and Ashbourne branch became part of the Beeching closure plan in 1963 with the Ashbourne line closing to passenger service in 1954 and goods and freight closed in 1965. The line finally closed in January 1965. The station wharf was purchased by JCB with the building being used as a storage facility. The JCB sailing club used a section of the building to store their boats during the 1970's and the JCB groundsman and football teams used other parts of the building. The ground floor was filled in and the surrounding ground levelled to raised to first floor level.

In 1981 it was proposed to convert the building and add a side extension to form the new base for the JCB Sports and Social Club. Following extensive renovation work the Club premises opened in 1982. Following further extensions the club has developed to its present size. Some original features are still present as the first floor frontage and roof are as original apart from new window frames. The snooker room has many of the original building features including the beams and walls. One of the beams is dated with one of the workers having engraved the year 1776 into the frame. Evidence of the buildings use a warehouse are evident with the old winding shaft block support still fitted in the wall and grease embedded in the beams.

Current Committee

Officers

Mick Smith (Chairman)

Roy Burnett (Treasurer)

Members

Reg Atkins

Eddie Draper

David Green

Janet Gregory

Kim Gregory